· Daddy’s Home 2 highlights the rise in competitive dads across the UK
· Robin Williams as Daniel Hillard in Mrs Doubtfire is East Midland’s favourite movie dad
EAST MIDLANDS FAVOURITE MOVIE DADS
1. Daniel Hillard - Mrs Doubtfire
2. Bryan Mills - Taken
3. Marlin –Finding Nemo
AND THE WORST…
1. Harry Wormwood - Matilda
2. Jack Torrance – The Shining
3. Darth Vader – Star Wars
New research shows that 88% of fathers across the country admit to wanting to be thought of as a ‘cool dad’ by their children’s friends and parents, while 38% are concerned about impressing other dads in the school playground.
To celebrate the release of Daddy’s Home 2, Vue surveyed the country’s dads and found that 55% consider themselves competitive, with turning up for the school run in a new car, acing the kids’ science homework and ‘training’ children for sports day just some of the ways competitive dads try and get one over on each other.
While impressing their children’s friends is important, a lot of the showboating takes place in the school grounds, with some concerned about impressing teachers over anyone else and half of dads volunteering for everything at their school in a bid to impress.
Over 50% admit to attempting to get their child to volunteer for as many school plays, nativities, and contests as possible while 63% ensure their child always ‘looks the part’ on non-uniform and fancy-dress days.
Jo Hemmings, Behavioural Psychologist says, “So what is fuelling this need for dads to impress? A quarter admit it’s purely because they want the best for their child, but a great deal of this highly competitive streak is likely down to dads simply wanting to be better than their counterparts.
When asked about their silver screen role models, the UK’s dad’s voted Robin Williams as Daniel Hillard in Mrs Doubtfire as their favourite movie dad, while Danny DeVito won the title of the worst movie dad of all time for his portrayal of Matilda’s mean father, Harry Wormwood. Interestingly, James Earl Jones came joint third as the nation’s most loved and most hated cinema dad in his roles of family favourite Mufasa in Lion King and Sith Lord Darth Vader in Star Wars.
The Top 10 Signs of A Competitive Dad:
1. They always try to win the 'dad's race' at school sports day
2. They shout from the side-line at every sports event and match
3. They coach their children at weekends so they win at sports day
4. Ensuring their children have all the latest technology and gadgets
5. They constantly brag about their children's achievements on Facebook
6. They complete their children's homework so they get higher grades
7. Dressing their child in the latest designer/sports brands
8. Queue up for ages before a school play just to get the front seats
9. They have the newest, biggest cars
10. Going on the best/most exciting or extravagant holidays
To book tickets for Daddy’s Home 2 visit: www.myvue.com